By Barry Balleck
This provocative quantity explores how and why the notice "patriot" has been appropriated by means of those that struggle opposed to the U.S. government—sometimes advocating violence in aid in their goals.
• Addresses the wide variety of "patriot" teams at present energetic within the usa, protecting their origins and present actions and what they show approximately America's political state
• Profiles famous patriot teams
• Discusses the political, fiscal, and social dynamics that perpetuate the expansion of those routine
• Explores how and why such teams advanced from guardians of the foundations of constrained govt to proponents of radicalized violence opposed to these they see as being against their beliefs
• Overviews the congruence of patriotism and political violence in U.S. heritage, equivalent to how disillusionment within the wake of the Civil conflict supplied fodder for the forming of the Klu Klux Klan
Read Online or Download Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America PDF
Similar civil rights & liberties books
This quantity examines and contributes to debates surrounding social capital, social hobbies and the function of civil society in rising varieties of governance. The authors undertake a vast variety of analysis methods, from trying out hypotheses drawn from purpose selection idea opposed to to be had facts on institutions, to ethnographic research of rising makes an attempt at player / deliberative democracy.
Christian Thomasius (1655–1728) was once a tireless campaigner opposed to the political enforcement of faith within the early smooth confessional kingdom. In an entire sequence of combative disputations - opposed to heresy and witchcraft prosecutions, and in favour of spiritual toleration - Thomasius battled to put the highbrow basis for the separation of church and country and the juridical foundation for pluralistic societies.
This quantity offers the ultimate result of the problem examine venture (The altering panorama of ecu Liberty and safety) - a five-year venture funded by way of the 6th Framework Programme of DG learn of the eu fee. The publication severely appraises the liberties of electorate and others in the ecu, and the various ways that they're plagued by the proliferation of discourses, practices and norms of lack of confidence enacted within the identify of collective and person safeguard.
During this long term neighborhood examine of the liberty flow in rural, majority-black Claiborne County, Mississippi, Emilye Crosby explores the influence of the African American freedom fight on small groups commonly and questions universal assumptions which are in keeping with the nationwide circulation. The felony successes on the nationwide point within the mid Nineteen Sixties didn't finish the circulate, Crosby contends, yet fairly emboldened humans around the South to begin waves of latest activities round neighborhood concerns.
- How to Prevent Genocide: A Guide for Policymakers, Scholars, and the Concerned Citizen: An Assessment with Policy Recommendations
- A Home for All Jews: Citizenship, Rights, and National Identity in the New Israeli State (The Schusterman Series in Israel Studies & Brandeis Series on Gender, Culture, Religion, and Law)
- Security and the Turkey-EU Accession Process: Norms, Reforms and the Cyprus Issue (New Security Challenges)
- Positive Liberty: An Essay in Normative Political Philosophy (Melbourne International Philosophy Series)
Extra resources for Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America
Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America by Barry Balleck